from Black Rock City to Bangkok, and beyond, by Bones and Lulu



from playa dust to tropical sand


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Sawadee!
Its been exactly a week since we were heading out of black rock city and making our way to our new destination here on Ko Phi Phi island in S.W. Thailand. I remember telling Chris that in a week we'd be laying on the beach and getting foot massages. That much is definitely true. Today, we finally got to sit on chairs at the most gorgeous beach I've ever seen, read our books, take a dip every 1/2 hour or so and then of course top it all off with a Thai massage and foot rub.

I'll start at the beginning of our journey but I'll make it quick. I'd rather be eating a delicious Thai meal then sitting at this internet cafe too long. The few days we had in between the playa and the airplane were full of errands. We had a long list and for sure checked it over and over and made sure we had everything. It was both hectic and exciting. We packed amidst friends coming over to say goodbye. Focusing was hard, but the job got done. Of course I spent my last few minutes furiously uploading music onto my new ipod. I'm such the procrastinator. Anyway, we were off to the airport on Wed evening, Sept 6. Our flights were long but the food was really good - we both agreed China airlines was better then any American flight we've ever taken. I particulary loved the purple decor and flight attendant outfits.

We reached the airport in Bangkok after about 30 hours of traveling. Tired and hungry, we chose to go with one of the travel desk excursion packages (and this was not a quick decision by any means). This package included flights to Phuket, really nice hotel for one night, then 2 nights at a nice place in Ko Phi Phi, all taxi and ferry rides and breakfast every morning. We called my aunt's friend Jeanne in Bangkok to be reassured we were getting a good deal and then jumped on it quick.

By the end of our 3rd flight, we were so happy to not have to think anymore, at this point, we knew we made the right choice. We arrived at our hotel called Sunset Beach which was in Ha Kalim, a beach near Patong on the island of Phuket. This island was hit hard by the tsunami, but it looked like most of it had been rebuilt. We quickly ate our usual favorite dishes except for really spicy soup that we just couldn't handle. We're still in the learning stages. After that, we went promptly to bed. We woke early to do a bit of exploring and then were taxied to the 2 hour ferry to the Island of Ko Phi Phi. This island had pretty much been destroyed. There are still many signs of the destruction everywhere. Amid all the piles of garbage and whatnot, it is really just a beautiful beautiful island. It just happens to be a very touristy destination and there are tons of people here.

We love our cottage up in the hills which we get to stay in for one more night. It has A/C which is a bonus. We spent the whole day just lounging at the beach. It is definitely paradise. Oh, and the coolest part- the tide goes way way out, you can walk out on all the coral and rocks and its just the most amazing thing. We got a fishes view of what really goes on down there when covered by ocean. I think it may be my favorite part. Except for the amazing Thai massage I got today.

So we discovered some packing errors, not too bad but some things we really did not need. Too much shampoo, no cord for the ipod, heavy towels. I do think I packed well anyway though my backpack is heavier then I'd like. I'm sure I'll be leaving some things along the way. We are just about to go eat some yummy Thai food (yep, not sick of it yet!) and get some drinks and meet some other tourists.

we'll try to add some pix next time....


0 Responses to “from playa dust to tropical sand”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


current

collected

others


ATOM 0.3


send email to Bones or Lulu!
(set to prevent spam, so you'll have to fix the addresses)